Bubur Cha Cha
Bubur Cha Cha is a soupy dessert made of yam, sweet potato and sago jelly cooked in a coconut based soup, usually served hot. If you love the taste of Bubur Cha Cha but prefer it as a cold dessert, here is a simple recipe to make the cold version.
However, this recipe here – which I saw on Food & Travel magazine – is a twist to the usual version. You still get your coconut taste but in the form of ice cream! The preparation is simpler than the original version but the difficult part here is to find coconut ice cream from the supermarket.
Ingredients(vary according to the no. of people you are preparing for)
- 1 Yam, cut into bite size cubes
- 2 large sweet potatos, cut into bite size cubes too
- 2 tbspoon sugar
- Some Gula Melaka or Melaka palm sugar (it comes in cylindrical blocks packed in a packet, look for it in the dried foods section of supermarkets, together with the barleys, green beans, etc)
- Coconut Ice Cream (Cremo has it, you can find it in some Sheng Siong supermarkets), if you can’t find in Supermarket, you can try ice cream parlours like Scoopz or Island Cremery – just get a coconut themed flavour if you can’t get pure coconut flavour. If not, substitute it with Yam, Taro or even Red Bean flavoured ice cream, which are easier to find.
- Sprinkle sugar over the yam and sweet potato cubes
- Sitr to mix in the sugar and place the yam and sweet potato in a steamer or a large plate and steam it in a wok for 20 minutes until tender. To test, use a toothpick and poke through the yam, it should go through easily
- Let it cool, meanwhile place a block of gula melaka with some water on a sauce pan and heat it over a small fire till it dissolves and form a sticky liquid. Some people like to drop in some pandan leaves to give it an added fragrance. Set aside to cool as well, preferably in a glass/ceramic jug or bottle that is easy to pour out such that you can drizzle it easily.
- Chill the yam and sweet potato if you like
- To serve, line the base of an ice cream cup with some gula melaka, place some yam and sweet potato over it as the base and then drop in a scoop of the coconut ice cream
- Drizzle more gula melaka if you like and garnish with a mint leaf